Kings and Commonwealth Avenues Draft Design Strategy
Consultation on the Kings and Commonwealth Avenues Draft Design Strategy was undertaken between 22 May and 3 July 2017.
Kings and Commonwealth avenues are two of Canberra’s most important boulevards but the current nature of the avenues does not reflect this. The eroding landscape and ageing assets are in need of renewal.
To address these issues, the design strategy outlines the long-term vision and key principles to redefine the avenues and re-establish them as memorable and functional public spaces.
An avenue template has been developed to guide their development and evolution into the future.
Key proposals in the design strategy
- renewing the streetscape character of the avenues to highlight them as destinations and unifying the symbolic points of the National Triangle
- enforcing high-quality design and a consistent palette of materials including lighting, signage and street furniture
- revitalising the avenues with unified street trees, shrubs and ground cover that ensure the character and sustainability of the landscape
- widening and enhancing pedestrian and cycle connections along the full length of the avenues
- reconfiguring the roadways to better integrate existing and future public transport systems, while giving priority to pedestrians and cyclists.
We asked you what you thought about:
- the proposed improvements to the pedestrian and cyclist movement along the avenues - will they help improve your access across the lake?
- the road design and reducing the traffic speed over time – do you think this will make the avenues more attractive as public spaces for people to use?
- the strategies to re-establish a consistent and formal streetscape including trees, plantings, paving and furniture – what do you think about these strategies?
How feedback was collected
Feedback was collected in a number of ways:
- By survey
- Comments on Facebook
- By email
- By letter
- At our drop-in session
- Kings and Commonwealth Avenues Design Strategy
- Kings and Commonwealth Avenues Media Release
- Renewal of Kings and Commonwealth Avenues – Background Issues
- Kings and Commonwealth Avenues Renewal Consultation Report 2013
What happens next?
Community consultation was open for six weeks and ended at midnight on 3 July 2017. Feedback is now being collated and reviewed. A summary of this will be made publicly available. The design strategy will be updated and then go to the National Capital Authority’s board for approval. The Kings and Commonwealth Design Strategy will be used to guide future development of the avenues.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates at https://www.facebook.com/NCA.gov/ and @nca_media on Twitter.