The National Capital Authority has temporarily closed Blundells Cottage museum for conservation works and the installation of new interpretative displays. Conservation works include stone re-pointing, painting and limewashing.
New interpretative displays will also be installed. The new exhibits will interpret the families who lived in the cottage, and their experiences on the Limestone Plains during the colonial period, at the time when Canberra was selected as the site for the Federal Capital, and during the construction of modern Canberra. The cottage was continuously occupied from 1859 to 1961. In addition to the nineteenth century families who lived here, the museum exhibits will tell the twentieth century story of the cottage for the first time.
Blundells Cottage was built in 1859 and was originally part of the Duntroon estate. Its history reflects the changing physical and social landscape of Canberra from the workers' perspective. The cottage is the only pre-Federal Capital remaining in the National Triangle and is listed on the Commonwealth Heritage List.
The museum will re-open in April 2015.